[Elfsea] "Issues" was My "ideal" Baron & Baroness of Elfsea are: (from daniel)

Vicki Marsh XaraXene at comcast.net
Thu Jul 24 10:35:50 PDT 2003

Greetings, Madelina,

I loved the story of the doctor.  I would like to dissect the story one step
further.  The doctor dealt with the "issue", but he also had an efficient,
well-trained staff (the nurse) that he trusted to take care of the problem.
The doctor and the nurse had either dealt with this situation or a similar
situation - and knew exactly what to do.  The nurse didn't drop the "issue"
because she had her feelings hurt, nor did she run around complaining to all
of her friends about what the doctor made her do.  She did her job - even
the messy part.

They were well-trained and experienced.  Prior planning prevents poor
performance. If you don't anticipate a problem and have a plan in place,
hopefully, somewhere from your past experience, you can think on your feet
and come up with a plan.

Daniel also did *not* say that there weren't any qualified applicants for
the position of B &/or B.

He said that "it makes it a most difficult choice because there are no
unacceptable choices in the running." The double negative in the sentence
means that *all* the applicants are acceptable and he is finding it
difficult to choose.

Llywelyn and I both had to be Atilla the Hun and Mother Theresa, so I
understand exactly what Daniel is talking about. Like a mother with her lion
cubs, our leaders must be very protective, confrontational and strong -
sometimes to the point of being a hard-ass, as well as being loving and
tender.

I heard something yesterday, as well, that applies to the SCA.  "A Leader is
a servant to the people."

Despotissa Xene Theriane, OL, OP