[Elfsea] Questions that need to be asked...

Jhan Knebel rixende at mail2noble.com
Thu Jul 10 12:14:32 PDT 2003

Your Grace,

Your letter troubles me as the Minister of Arts and Sciences of the
Barony of Elfsea, as well as a Baronial Candidate. I can only speak from
my time as MoAS, which has been just over a year, in which I have been
working on developing our artisans. I have not once in my tenure of
service been approached and told that "we" (meaning the Barony, and/or
me as the leader for Arts and Sciences activities) have not been
providing opportunities for the everyday artisan.

During the last year the Barony has hosted:

Baronial College: A full event devoted to developing our artisans. Many
tracks of classes, a body of work competition for titled artisan, Past
artisans always recognize a favorite (this year every participant in the
competition was recognized), the option of putting your work out "for
display only" and a Remnant War, which was insanely successful, and I
have been begged to repeat it next year.

Defender Last Year: Arts and Sciences were for display only, as it was
the weekend before Laurel's Prize tourney. I felt that most artisans
were gearing up for LPT, and comments would be more helpful than a full
fledged competition, allowing people to get feedback (and possibly some
largesse) so that they could refine their entries before LPT. I only had
2 people display. There was also a heraldic display competition.

Defender XXV: HL Brigit is organizing the Middle Eastern dance
competition and a full slate of classes to complement the competition. I
feel that supporting this effort is very, very important, and therefore
will not be running another A&S competition or slate of classes.

Monthly Arts and Sciences classes focused on all aspects of the society,
including costuming, dance, medicine, knitting, weaving, enameling,
beadmaking, basic sewing skills (to name a few).

Our guilds include:
Middle Eastern Dance: Weekly
Herald, Scribes and Illuminators: Once a month
Cooks Guild: Monthly
Clothier's Guild: inactive, but in the process of reforming
Glass guild: Twice a month, until interest failed. I still teach this on
a moments notice if someone wants it.

Informal Arts activities hosted by individuals (both in the Barony and
Her Cantons and Colleges):

Lord Timothy and Dama Anezka host game night once a month at their
house.
Wednesday night sewing: I've been doing this at my home since many of
the fighters are beating on each other at the Bedford Boys Ranch during
this time. It is open to anyone. I don't think my son and I have been
alone on a Wednesday night in 6 months.
Kragenworth Keep Bardic
HL Eleanor and Master Darius have recently started a Bardic practice
night.
HL Philip hosts the White Academy of Dance twice a month.

I try and make myself available to any and all people at all times. Our
class schedule is posted through September on the Website, and I
announce it at both business meeting and populace meeting. Every month I
ask for more teachers, and always have Arts and Sciences classes
scheduled several months in advance. If there is more you feel that we
can do to foster our Arts and Sciences community in Elfsea, please
discuss this with me.

In Service to Ansteorra, Elfsea and the Arts,

Honorable Lady Rixende de Rouen