[Elfsea] future B&B

TWMarsh at TarrantCounty.com TWMarsh at TarrantCounty.com
Fri Jul 25 12:42:21 PDT 2003

Thank you, Siobhan, for your kind words and excellent advice.  I would only
disagree with one thing.  You do have influence.  If the people of Elfsea
did not respect your judgment they would not have asked you to serve as
Seneschale or Baroness.  Your words here show your wisdom.

Llywelyn

-----Original Message-----
From: elfsea-bounces at ansteorra.org [mailto:elfsea-bounces at ansteorra.org]On
Behalf Of SiobhanON at aol.com
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2003 9:50 AM
To: elfsea at ansteorra.org
Subject: [Elfsea] future B&B

Greetings Elfsea,
    You haven't heard from me a lot lately because I have been working long
hours at Wally World, the supercenter at North Richland Hills. However, I
have some comments on the future landed nobility in our faire Barony.
    First of all, as a former baroness who now has absolutely no influence
at all, I would like to say that I think all of the candidates are equally
qualified for the job. Our Vicar and Vicaress, who are very honest people
and who have held offices in this Barony, hobnobbed with Royalty, and made
friends all over the Kingdom, will do what they think is best for Elfsea.
Darius and Rosalia are peers, both in their own right, and have done much
for this Barony and Kingdom. Need I say more? Raimond is about the hardest
worker I have ever seen. William and Cassandra have a long history with the
SCA, Ansteorra, and Elfsea and have experience many of us can only imagine.
Rixende and Tomas have worked hard for Elfsea since they arrived and have
much experience with entourages, etc. Caelin and Pyro have been leaders from
Baronial level to Kingdom level. It will be a hard choice indeed when I go
to the polling Monday night at MOOT, I am off from work Monday, thank
goodness.
    Dear Populace of Elfsea, please remember that this is a job that will
require so much from these people that they will need all the help you can
give them. They have been told that Landed Nobility will need to be super
seneschals from this day forward. They will have the hardest job this
Society has to offer. Please try to become their best friend, no matter what
they need. Please give them their first year without expecting too much or
holding mistakes against them. They will be testing the waters and finding
their footing.
    Dear Candidates, if you are not chosen, please take all of the energy
you are now planing to use as Landed Nobility and use it to support your new
Baron and Baroness. You each have talents and strengths they do not and they
will need you desparately. Don't wait for them to ask, they probably will
not know what to ask for in the beginning.
    Dear Future Baron and Baroness, please try to make every person in the
populace your best friend. They need it. When we stepped up, very few people
were attending A&S and fighter practices, etc. We concentrated on attending
as many baronial fuctions as possible. You must try to keep this up. People
will go there partly because you will be there. Don't forget your populace
in Loch Rudh (for as long as you have it), Dragon'sfire Tor, and the college
(whether dormant or active) . When you travel, please advertise your plans
and invite others to travel with you. Away travel is more fun when done as a
group and it helps new people feel a part of the group if they are invited
to travel with and camp with you in a community situation. When we were at
events we spent more time with our populace than we did politicking with
peers and royalty. I have seen other Landeds spend more time politicking
with peers and royalty than visiting with their populace. Please try to find
a happy medium, lest your populace feel left out and royalty feel ignored.
    The first year you will be getting you balance, and I for one will not
hold any mistakes you make against you. The second year, I have heard from
other nobility, you should have your stride and everything should start to
fall into place. If you need to talk to anyone who understands your
position, Mistress Xene and Don Llewelyn are very hospitable and so are
Baron Fritz and Baroness Caitrin, although they have very different
approaches, they give excellent advice.
Good Luck and God Bless, no matter who you are.
Siobhan