[Elfsea] FW: A DallasNews.com article about teachers

Vicki Marsh XaraXene at comcast.net
Fri Jul 25 13:51:01 PDT 2003

Xene here:

It's interesting to note the "average" pay is $39,230.  The state mandated
beginning pay is $24,000.  Most schools pay more, but small school
districts, like Venus and Maypearl, can only pay $27,000.  Full Benefits are
one of the best ways to hold on to a teacher.  The other way is to have safe
school environments.  I know teachers that would rather stay in a district
where they are less afraid of students (and their parents) and be paid less,
than to move to a larger school district where they feel that their lives
will be in danger. I also know teachers who left my school to try the Dallas
ISD because of the extra $6,000+ per year.

Yes, many teachers are not certified - at least at first.  I was a
paraprofessional (teacher's aide), making about $14,000 a year and decided
to get certified.  It was difficult getting hired, even though I was going
through an alternative certification and had my degree with enough hours in
the subject area.  It cost me about $4,000 to get certified.

In many school districts, they wouldn't hire me because I wasn't already
certified.  But, I couldn't get certified unless I worked in a teaching
position for a year.  I also had to pass a test or two, go to school for 2
months last summer, and had to jump through a variety of other hoops.

It felt like a Catch-22 situtation.

However, I wouldn't trade my experiences this last for any other job.  The
amount of good that you can do as a loving, caring teacher can make all the
difference in the life of a child.

Xene