[Elfsea] Armour on eBay

Morgan Cain (Ansteorra) morgancain at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 11 10:23:00 PDT 2003

If people really are concerned that the item is stolen, there is a page on eBay that addresses reporting the issue:

Stolen Property
The sale of stolen property is strictly forbidden on eBay, and violates state, federal and international law. eBay strongly supports law enforcement efforts to recover stolen property that is listed on its web site, and urges the prosecution of those responsible for knowingly attempting to sell such items on eBay. Stolen property includes items taken from private individuals, as well as property taken without authorization from companies or governments.

For U.S. federal law on selling stolen property or government property without authorization, go to:

  interstate transportation of stolen property
  theft of government property
If you see an item on eBay that you believe is stolen, your best course is to contact law enforcement immediately. Under eBay's privacy rules, our attorneys will provide important records about pending and past auctions with an official request from law enforcement officials. Please inform the police officer handling the case that eBay will be pleased to cooperate in the investigation, and ask the officer to contact eBay at the email address we've set aside for law enforcement organizations (LEO): leo at eBay.com, or by fax at: 408-376-6491. It is important that these methods of contact be reserved for law enforcement use only, as it enables us to respond quickly in case of emergencies. Emails/faxes directed to these areas that are not from law enforcement will be routed to the appropriate mailbox or individual accordingly and may cause delays in response time.

The page is:  http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-stolenprop.html

I think the original property owner needs to make the report.

There was some armor stolen earlier this year in Topeka, Kansas (Calontir), but it is Japanese style.

I agree that the story about the seller getting it at a yard sale is somewhat suspicious, since most people I know pass their armor along to newer fighters if they retire.  But someone else said it's not completely unheard-of, so I don't know.

                                            ---= Morgan

"In matters of style, swim with the current;
  in matters of principle, stand like a rock."
                                   ---= Thomas Jefferson
"If someone wants a sheep, then that means that he exists."
                 ---= Antoine de Saint-Exupery, "The Little Prince"
"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky."
                                    ---= Solomon Short