[Elfsea] Minor Waivers (confusion)

CE Huse/Lady Maria ldy_maria at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 20 06:48:05 PDT 2003

Hola!

I've been sitting here and reading (and re-reading) the paragraph that's in
question:

"The witnessing marshal must be explicitly authorized to perform this
function by the Earl Marshal of the kingdom. The marshal who authorizes
a minor person for any form of SCA combat-related activity must be the
Kingdom Earl Marshal or the Principality Marshal. This need not be the
same person as the witnessing marshal."

The way I am reading this mumbo jumbo (otherwise known as legal
jargon..hehe)  is that it is reiterating what we do here now in the Kingdom
(and correct me if I'm wrong)....Ie.. The authorizing marshall signs off a
kiddo, but the Kingdom Earl Marshall has the final say so.

The reason I'm thinking this is that it states "marshal who authorizes a
minor person... must be the
Kingdom Earl Marshal", but then it goes on to say that this person "need not
be the same person as the witnessing marshal" and that "the witnessing
marshal must be explicitly authorized to perform this function by the Earl
Marshal".

>From my experiance of reading laws and court cases, you sometimes have to
rearrange the sentances to make it make sense...I hope this helps.  I might
be wrong, but this is how I read it.

Maria