[Elfsea] FW: [Sca-cooks] Travelling Dishes Revisited

Betsy Marshall betsy at softwareinnovation.com
Sat Jun 21 06:12:28 PDT 2003

This sounds like fun!

-----Original Message-----
From: sca-cooks-bounces at ansteorra.org
[mailto:sca-cooks-bounces at ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Gaylin Walli
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2003 7:58 AM
To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org; mk-cooks at midrealm.org;
rw-cooks at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Travelling Dishes Revisited

Greetings all,

Yesterday I posted my amazement that SCA Cooks mirrored my thoughts
when it began discussing an older SCA-based cookbook, Travelling

I also wrote:

> What I'd like to do is sit down and think a bit and then post some
> things I'm looking for specifically.

Here's what I hope for: period dishes that you wouldn't be embarrassed
to serve to a complete stranger off the street at a potluck, camping
event, vigil, or party. Dishes that travel well. Dishes that survive
reheating. Dishes that can be served cold or room temperature. Dishes
that can be prepared in advance and frozen.

But above all: period food that tastes good.

Do you have a favorite SCA potluck dish? Have you done a vigil spread,
Rose luncheon, or peerage dinner in the middle of a campground with no
running water or electricity? Do you have a dish that you love that you
can start cooking at home, take out half way, stuff in an empty cooler
and have come out falling off the bone or perfectly al dente? (Master
Huen of Godecookery.com is my hero as he does this all the time.)  I
would love to hear about your recipe.

Ideally, these would be extant recipes in their original language (with
references!), translated or normalized into modern American English,
and then interpreted by an SCA cook who loves good food. If I'm that
interpreter, yeah for me! as I've eaten good food. If someone else is
the interpreter, yeah for me, as I've met another cook who's eaten good
food and I get to see how their mind works during the research process.
I'll take just suggestions of recipes if you have the manuscript source
you got them from.

I'd *really* love to see some of the underrepresented cuisines get some
attention. 60 people forwarding me their favorite cuskynole recipe is
great, but I'd like to see a variety of things, things like recipes
from Alessio (hey Johnnae!) or Evelyn (the salads, of course) or Scappi
(hey Helewyse!), something from the Manuel de Mujeres or from one of
the Dutch cookbooks that have recently been translated like the
Cocboeck, some of the German corpus vegetable recipes (hey Bogdan!),
more of the Portuguese that we've started to see coming about (thank
you Faerisa!). And what about some of those recipes from the kaseki
ryori meals or Soup for the Quan (anyone worked out the meat jerky
recipe yet)? Dishes that weren't necessarily available to be cooked
when the book Travelling Dyshes was first published.

It's a crazy idea. But I think it can work. And even if it only
stimulates discussion, then I'll consider it a successful venture.
People are always wondering what they can bring to a potluck, serve at
a camp party at Pennsic, or use as vigil food under less than ideal
conditions. That's ultimately why I want to do this. To give people
options and ways to make those options happen and to put it into a book.

If you have a recipe, saw one you liked that you think might work, or
want to brainstorm with me, feel free, either public or private. And if
you think anyone else might be interested, feel free to forward them
this note.

Ever in Service,

Iasmin

Iasmin de Cordoba, Roaring Wastes, Middle Kingdom
(mka, Gaylin Walli, south-eastern Michigan, USA)
iasmin at comcast.net