[Elfsea] Sending Care Packages to the Troops

morgancain at earthlink.net morgancain at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 20 15:05:41 PST 2003

Hi, y'all:

I know that with some of our friends and relations among the troops in
Kuwait, Iraq, and elsewhere, there have been questions about how to show
our support.  Whether you agree with the war or not, I think we should
support our troops.  (And I hope the listparents don't think this message
is too political to get through!)

Due to the limitations on letters and packages, which cannot be sent "To
Any Service Person" but must be directed specifically to someone, many
people may wonder how we can show our support.  I have found several ways
to do this.

One is the USO, which has ways to send both messages and care packages to
the troops.  From their website:  http://www.uso.org/pubs/93_325_1391.cfm

“Operation USO Care Package”
     Thousands of U.S. troops have been deployed around the world in the
fight against terrorism and in readiness for a possible war with Iraq. The
United Service Organizations (USO) is offering a unique way for individuals
and corporations to let our nation's defenders know we haven't forgotten
them.  “Operation USO Care Package,” initiated by the USO of Metropolitan
Washington (USO-Metro), enables individuals to financially support care
packages that will be delivered to service members en route to overseas
destinations.  A contribution of $25 will purchase one Care Package.
     Because of heightened security, individuals can no longer send letters
and packages to “Any Service Member.” Operation USO Care Package is
approved by the Department of Defense, and provides a safe, easy way for
individuals and corporations to show their prayers and thoughts are with
our service members.
     “These Care Packages help the USO bring a touch of home to our men and
women in uniform,” said Edward A. Powell, President and CEO of USO World
Headquarters. The Care Packages contain an assortment of items specifically
requested by the military, such as prepaid international calling cards,
disposable cameras, toiletries, and sunscreen.
     "Operation USO Care Package will continue for as long as our country
is at war," according to Elaine Rogers, USO-Metro President.  "This program
is possible because of the support from individuals, corporations and
organizations that donate funds to sponsor these Care Packages."

Donations can be sent to:
     USO World Headquarters
     P.O. Box 70264
     Washington, DC 20024

You can send messages via OperationDearAbby.net at
http://anyservicemember.navy.mil/MessageSend.html

If you are a knitter (like me!) there are several ways to contribute:
Operation Toasty Toes:
     http://www.house.gov/latourette/issues_toasty_toes.htm
SHIPS Project:
     http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
     (you can leave messages for the troops here also)
     http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwe-ellensHat.html
Project: Warm the Troops!
     http://www.carodanfarm.com/project.htm

You probably cannot put any identification on the item, as they are
concerned about the safety of civilians.  Each site has specific
instructions on what to make and to where to send it to get to the troops.

                                        ---= Morgan

"Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived,
 stop thinking and go in."             ---= Napoleon Bonaparte
"You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake."
                               ---= Jeannette Rankin (1880 - 1973)