[Elfsea] Springfaire

Tangwystl tangwystl at elfsea.net
Sat Mar 1 09:52:31 PST 2003

VIVAT MEDB!

-------Original Message-------

From: elfsea at ansteorra.org
Date: Saturday, March 01, 2003 11:35:09 AM
To: elfsea at ansteorra.org
Subject: Re: Re: [Elfsea] Springfaire

Challenge, eh?

Where you been? Got our Springfaire assignments weeks ago. Going to be busy
the entire event, including pre and post.

And if some people would talk less and listen more, Tristan, you would have
heard me tell you at fighter practice on Sunday that we would be on site on
Friday to help with set up in addition to our other duties. Evan's been
working out. He should be over is strain to the gr...well, that little
injury he sustained in powerlifting this week by then so he can lift even
more than last year.

But more to the bigger point. While my house brother has issued a challenge
to the rest of Rising Thunder, many of whom do not live in our Barony, I don
t think that he realized that we had already volunteered our time.

And I am wondering if the same thing has happened with the event as a whole?
We have had, for various reasons (not laying blame here) more than a few
autocrats for this one event. I wonder if there have been other committments
made that have fallen through the cracks? If there are some out there who
thought that their name was already on a list and somehow that information
didn't make it from one autocrat to the next? It has happened before.

Also, I don't want to downplay the urgency of the moment, but if we are not
expecting 500 guests, then perhaps we need to review just how many people we
need to actually run this small event.

I am guessing that the majority of our guests will day trip, including some
of the volunteers. How can we adjust our labor to fit our need?

Quite frankly, if all we did was have the ad in the newsletter, site
arranged, invitiations out, and privvies arranged, I have no doubt that we
could organize this event in two weeks or less. I won't be worrying about
Springfaire until after I get to War. Given the level of experience in the
Barony, plus the scope of the event, we should be able to pull everyone
together in a relatively short amount of time, as long as we keep it simple
and fun. This Barony isn't exactly lacking in people who are accustomed to
taking on responsibility and following through on it. Look around and you
will see current and former Greater and Lesser Officers of State at each
turn, as well as branch officers as well. Perhaps we have not generated
enough buzz prior to the event because we all know what we have to do and we
just do it when the time comes which much fanfare.

Before we consider cancelling, we need to realize our responsibility to our
Kingdom and to ourselves in particular. It is a point of pride that this
event is part of the Royal Progress. TRM's have saw fit to call their most
esteemed Pelican's to flock to this event (pun intended, this IS
Springfaire), the CoH is meeting there as well and there have been far too
few CoH meetings in the Central Region. We have a Bard to choose and a King
of Fools to select and install.

And most importantly, we have people whose efforts in the Society deserve
formal recognition in the form of being called into court to receive awards
and honors as well as heartfelt thanks from all of us.

And of course, there is that Barbarian theme...so, tell me, does that
involve men dressed in those wonderful leather and bunny fur outfits like
Conan and Hercules? If so, when and where are you going to judge the
costumes...I want to see that! Guess I need to get working on a new outfit
for Daire. Hey Tristan, we got some extra leather if you need some new duds.
Shouldn't take much...

Medb Liath