[Elfsea] Information for Supporting Military Personnel

Shari Burnham ladypendarves at elfsea.net
Sun Mar 23 17:21:37 PST 2003

Hello to the Barony of Elfsea;
as many of you know, I work for the Navy. I have seen many requests on the list in the past weeks as the service personnel have been called up for support services. These sites are the ONLY ones legitimate to supporting our troops which are deployed. Please remember your cards and letters are VERY important to those who serve, it reminds them why. food, clothing, etc. are not allowed at this time.

So here is the official information for civilians:

Here's some guidance on civilians sending gifts, cards, letters, to the
troops that are deployed. These are the only authorized ways in which it can happen.
v/r
LTJG Bill Clinton
Deputy Director Advertising/Marketing
Public Affairs Officer

The U.S. Department of Defense-sponsored www.DefendAmerica.mil, features
news, photographs and information about the U.S. war on terrorism and
preparations for a war against Iraq. The site lists a number for people
interested in supporting U.S. troops, including donating calling cards
(www.operationuplink.org) to soldiers and their families, sending greeting cards through Operation Dear Abby (anyservicemember.navy.mil) and making donations to Operation USO Care Package (www.usometrodc.org/care.html).
Operation Troop Trax (www.asmallvictory.net/trax) seeks volunteer support to send music to soldiers stationed in the Middle East.
The DefendAmerica site also includes links to all of the armed forces and related Defense units, including the Defense Department's clearinghouse for news -- www.defenselink.mil.
A number of sites organize "adoptions" of sailors and soldiers who have been deployed. An "Adopt a Sailor" site (www.operation-enterprise.org) provides information on how visitors can send letters to sailors.
More information available at
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24984-2003Mar14.html.

Please note that donations of food, clothing and gifts will not be sent due to ongoing concerns of biological/chemical contamination and to ensure limited air/sealift capacities are maximized.

In Service;
Lady Elisabeth of Pendarves