[Elfsea] Gulf War and Concealed Weapons permits

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Mon Mar 3 10:34:54 PST 2003

For those of you who have Texas concealed carry permits, I have
researched the laws in Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi regarding
carrying concealed weapons. I am not a lawyer and am not offering legal
advice, just relating what I found in my personal research. If you have
any concerns, contact a lawyer or the authorities in the appropriate
state(s).

In Texas, you should have a concealed carry permit to carry a handgun.
There are exceptions for going to and from a firearm sporting activity,
traveling across county lines, and carrying large amounts of money, but
those are defenses and are not proof from arrest. A concealed carry
permit if proof from arrest (assuming there is no other issue than
carrying a concealed weapon).

If you have a concealed handgun permit in Texas, then Louisiana will
honor your permit, but you are required to obey their version of the
concealed handgun laws, not those of Texas (see
http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html). In particular, watch for the
following issues (1) you may not carry where alcohol is served and it is
the primary item sold by the store/bar/eatery, (2) churches, (3) certain
retail stores (I don't have the specifics yet), (4) private residence of
another person without prior consent, and (5) any place where the
owner/lessee/etc prohibits it in writing (any kind of sign is
permissible).

Mississippi only allow those who have been residents for at least 12
months to apply for a concealed handgun permit (not including bonded
security guards, etc) and has no reciprocity with any other state.
However, the law specifically allows anyone to carry a concealed weapon
(1) on their own real property, (2) in any motor vehicle, (3) on private
property with advanced consent of the owner of the property.

In service,
Caelin on Andrede