[Elfsea] Fighting Shield Question

Morgan Mckenzie morgans916 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 2 07:32:20 PST 2004

Scott,

       The best way to find the correct positioning to  hang your sheild would be if you could bring it to one of the fighter practices along with a marker. Any one  of us would be glad to help.

            Morgan

Scott <sdickers at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
Greetings to one and all,

Last November I posted a question as to the proper construction of "Heater"
style shields. The feedback I
received was great. So I'm asking for a little more help again. Due to
mundane job issues in December I had
to postpone my pursuit of being involved in SCA. I also had a computer hard
drive crash and lost all of the
questions I had posted about Heater shields. The only thing I cant remember
is the proper positioning
of the shield handle basket and leather strap for the forearm. I held the
shield by the upper right hand
corner and then marked a line from the corner perpendicular to the ground.
Where on that line should I place
the shield handle basket? Maybe a better question might be where should the
top of the shield be in relation
to the top of ones head while in fighting stance? I would think that would
dictate where the handle should be
positioned.

On another note can some one direct me to information on names that were
common from 1480 up to about
1580.

Scott