[Elfsea] Two Irinas? *blush* My Fault

Irena or Ren, whichever rubberduckiemom at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 18:42:55 PDT 2004

I seem to be the one at fault here.  When I read original e-mail, I thought it was here in Northkeep and someone was looking for me under my mundane name IRENA.  You have no idea how embarrassed I was when i found that it was not me, but someone else!   I seemed to have been the one to have stirred the cauldran.  I apologize.  (hangs head and sniffs)

Signed Deeply embarrassed in Northkeep...  or Katrine la Esclopiera

Crandall <crandall at elfsea.net> wrote:

My dear Cid,
It seems that you did not create a misunderstanding. And it is not your fault for any reason.
It was Seamus' fault!!!
Truely, in the SCA it is relatively common to find someone with similar names. When Irina Morevskaia's name was submitted to the College of Heralds, there were only 13 registered Irina(s). Hopefully, with no further documentation we will have the first Ansteorran Irina soon.
With the exception of Seamus, ignorance implies a lack of learning and can be corrected.
Welcome and I hope to see you in the near future, with a bevy of new comers.

Crandall, No-Count
Who also sometimes disguises himself as a Herald

Bæcklund, Astrid. Personal Names in Medieval Velikiji Novgorod. Almqvist & Wiksell. Stockholm:1959. this book not only has dates names, but information on Medieval Russian names. However, for most people, Wickenden’s book on Russian names is more useful. Recommended.

Unbegaun, B.O. Russian Surnames. Clarendon Press: Oxford, 1972. This excellent book on Russian surnames is full of dates and information as to how Russian surnames are formed. It is broken out by type, but there is a full index in the back. Recommended.

Wickenden of Thanet, Paul. A Dictionary of Period Russian Names. Free Trumpet Press West, Normal, Il. 2000. Written for the SCA, this book has dated Russian given and bynames as well as information on how to properly construct a Russian name. Highly recommended.
http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/

http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/predslava/bbl/

http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/russian.html

http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/toprus.html