[Elfsea] extraneous advice

willow Herbert willowjonbardc at juno.com
Fri Aug 13 14:13:37 PDT 2004

I guess all of you know that us Peers are suppose to help everyone who is
in their "sphere of influence" and you poor people are in My Sphere. I
have come across a lot of people who are spinning their wheels when it
comes to Grant and Peerage awards. I know many people  feel it is
improper to state you want a award, but secretly you wonder why you have
not gotten it. I have had the same feeling. It took me 12 years to get my
Laurel. I have noticed a common mistake.

When artisans are told they need to talk to the peers or the polling
orders they think they either need to brown nose or talk about themselves
and in doing so they make a big mistake. The reason candidates  need to
talk to the members of the order is so the member can learn about the
candidates  and make sure that candidates are open to communication. This
is called "building rapport". It is not being good old boys together. In
fact, being too good of friends can sometime interfere with the process
of "building rapport". The best way to build "rapport" is to ask
questions and listen to the peer or member of the polling order. Do not
talk about yourself,except when the peer or member of the polling order
asks a question. Talk about your field or better still talk about their
field. Remember when a member of a polling order gives their positive
opinion of you to the Crown they are stating you will  make a good member
of the order. If they had never talked to you or cannot talk to you for
some reason they can not make that statement.

Yours
Willow de Wisp

Please remember it is never too early to "build rapport".  You can learn
a lot from it. If you are truly wanting to learn it is not brown nosing.