[Elfsea] RE: [Steppes] Fwd: [Ansteorra] Youthful Combatants

Vicki Marsh xaraxene at comcast.net
Fri Dec 31 16:00:55 PST 2004

Xene here:

I was also in martial arts at the age of 16. Of course, this was a long time
ago, in the 1970's, but we fought without pads.  My parents didn't have to
stay around to watch, even at the tournaments.  In practice, I sparred
adults, but only the ones that the instructor knew had the ability to spar
with me without hurting me badly. I would get bruises, but nothing major.
The only injury I got was at a tournament from another student that was in
my division. I got smacked in the nose pretty good and it taught me to keep
my guard up. Did my father sue anyone?  No. It was my fault for dropping my
guard:)
As I improved in fighting, the intensity and speed was kicked up a notch,
because the instructor knew I could handle it.

16 and 17 year olds vary in size and maturity. Some of them are adult sized,
some are not. Some have good judgement and some don't.  They can legally
drive on the streets, once they get get their training and license, but they
don't get to jump in all at once. It requires in-classroom training,
behind-the-wheel training, 6 months with an instructional permit (and
driving with someone 21 yrs or older in the car).  They then have another 6
months with a provisional license. See
www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/graduateddrive
r.htm
Oklahoma also has the GDL (graduated Driver's license) See:
http://www.dps.state.ok.us/dls/gdl.htm

I figure if the procedure of increasing responsibility and risk is good
enough for the States of Texas and Oklahoma, it's good enough for Ansteorra.

Under the new proposed rules, as I understand it, *I* can decide whether or
not my son is ready or not. Then, the Kingdom Earl Marshal will provide an
impartial decision as to whether or not my son is fit and mature enough to
fight with adults.
That is reasonable.

My only concern is that if we have a EM who doesn't travel enough, or
parents who aren't able to travel to the EM, they won't be able to have the
requisite approval. Unfortunately, we have had kingdom officers who
virtually fell off the face of the earth during their tenure. If the power
of final approval only rests in one person's hands, it can become a
bottleneck, or a political issue.

Baroness Xene Theriane, OL, OP

-