[Elfsea] Re: [Bards] A Question of Timing in Elfsea

Stefen and Rhonda Hays housedragonstar at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 28 07:28:44 PST 2004

Medb, one of the autocrat type persons chiming in here...

Okay Bards, listen up!

Come armed to impress with whatever you got in five minutes or less.  As
Darius says, most of us start looking for drink refills at our TV trained
commercial break time frame which is 7 minutes or less.

Depending on things like turnout, quality of stories, there might be a
second call up during the afternoon to give it your best again to break a
few ties for admittance to the final round.  If, as some of you bards have
complained, this is too stifling and not appropriate, then think of what
you, as Bard of Elfsea might be called on to do on the spur of the moment. A
member of entourage tells you to fill in five minutes, no more, no less in
court while last minute details get attended to.   Their Excellencies and
their populace need to know if you can answer that call.

Once you survive all this, a very special few of you will be asked to
perform at feast that night.

Yes, you will have a nice captive well-fed audience, indoors, out of the
weather, with candlelight and all of them just waiting for you to entertain
them.  You are the center of attention and you have all of our attention.
Not only is this a period, but it give you an audience you might not
otherwise get.  Many people leave site well before the bardic fires get
started.

Now is your time to shine, as entries will not be limited in time.  However,
please note, use of your best judgement on selection of your piece is vital.
Assessment of the time, place and audience is vital to how well your piece
will go over.  Remember that you will have judges watching not only you, but
the faces of your audience as well.

So, at the end of all of this, the new Bard of Elfsea will be have shown
that s/he can fill in for court delays and not cause some of their own and
that s/he can entertain an audience in a very period setting - entertaining
at a feast - and leave the audience and the judges overwhelmed.

And, on top of all of that, maybe, just maybe, we will see new faces at the
Bardic competition, doing short works for the first time and learning first
hand how much fun doing Bardic can be.

More people, more stories, songs, and poems - that all sums up to more fun!

Medb
who is determined to have _lots of fun_ at Springfaire