[Elfsea] RE: A Question of Timing / Bardic

Craig Shupee' philipwhite at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 26 09:22:33 PST 2004

Greetings,

I think the five minute limit is a great idea.  Their Excellencies have made
a decision with the event stewards that I am sure will best serve the Barony
and to accommodate the event structure.

If it is challenging to finish a piece in five minutes, then I suspect that
is how they will narrow down the competition.  Being good and being fast is
difficult.  And if you want to make it period, even better.  (I notice that
documentation has not been requested, though I would personally still
recommend it.)

Why not prove to them you can?  There are many pieces worthy of competition
that can be completed under the limit - story, poem, and song.  And
certainly period pieces.  Perhaps include more of your sources in written
documentation, and make your introduction very simple and quick.  I
personally like the whole performance, introduction to the end, to be in
persona.  Standing up and saying 'This is a 14th Century French song"
doesn’t impresses me - so I like to see bards incorporate it into their
persona and performance.  I think a five minute time limit will encourage
this.

Also - I think a bad that can perform fast is really best, and I suspect
what the Barony needs.  Its the times in court where a bard needs to stand
up and fill in for five minutes that is important.  Yes, they could perform
something longer for Their Excellencies during a feast or tourney.  But, I
really like the bards that are quick on their feet but also quick to exit
the stage.

His Excellency Thomas of Bryn Gwlad has practiced this in his court this
past Candlemas.  It may be one of the best courts I have yet to see.  He
performed short stanzas of poetry, or invited another bad to do so, for some
of his populous receiving awards.  It made each moments very special.

So, I think it is a good idea.  Let's try something different.

~Philip