[Elfsea] Your Thoughts?

Don and Monica dmriney at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 29 13:38:38 PDT 2004

The castle of Elfsea has stood for many a long year and as all castles it has change d many times within it's life. It started out, I would presume as an earthen ring fort, that was expanded two or maybe three times to accommodate the ever growing populace. In later years evidence of this humble beginning can be found as the deep moat and burm that continue even now to surrounds the central fortified keep.

The primary fortification of the central keep is stone walls with multiple embattled turrets and the central white "Tower of the Grail" soaring above the castle and the town below inspiring poets and troubadours from even as far away as the Stargate.

However within this great structure we can see the influence and construction of a n older timber beam castle or hall, some would say there may be some Norse influence amoungst all the continental finery as the great hall has enough room to fit those who call Elfsea home and hearths enough to warm even the most weary and weatherworn traveler. Much as did the ancient mead halls of the Scandinavian lands.

The strategic courtyards of this most splendid castle can be closed of in times of turmoil by many a strong portcullis. Dropping down from their arched enclosures these gates and multiple courts are the keystone of Elfsea's defense. For though many units of an attacking force may find their way into the courtyards through treachery of force they will be hard pressed to fend off the famed boar spears of Elfsea's baronial guard as they rain down on them from above once they are trapped within the yards.

In times of peace these yards are home to Soldiers practicing at their craft as well as Artisans who favor the yard beneath the eastern tower, Lovers sharing secrets in shadowed corners, Archers fletching arrows, the aromas of hearty meals drifting in from the kitchens, and children playing in the haystacks kept for fodder for the stables in case of siege and chasing the many cats that protect the town from smaller invaders.

The southern wall is well protected by marshes and fens that keep any but the most fool hardy of enemies from attacking. likewise the road to Elfsea is strategically placed across a ford in the great river of three's, travelers know to look for the ford marked with axes if they would pass with safety across the swift currents.

In recent years it has even been rumored that there has been smoke rising from the halls leading down to the great cellars beneath the Tower of the Grail, and that any who would harm our home would indeed have a fight on their hands as they would have to face the wrath of a mighty dragon that the populace has allowed to make it's home amongst the barrels and cask  of wine and beer. Of course this is but a rumor as are the many stories that will be told across a mug of wine about the shimmering white figures who walk the castle walls as if the ensure the city is protected even in the darkest night of winter.

Darius