[Elfsea] Gas prices and local participation

Irena or Ren, whichever rubberduckiemom at yahoo.com
Sun May 9 07:02:17 PDT 2004

I can see the price of gas causing people to think twice about events...  they are almost always a long distance away - well, futher than one would normally travel on a daily basis.  However, I am sure people won't think twice about getting into their cars to go to those weekly "happenings".  For most SCAer's those things have become part of their daily lives... almost like going to Wal-mart or work (I know, bad samples, but very true). I know that I won't think about it - my mundane life is so intertwined with my SCA that there really isn't much different.  Wait, that just sounds wrong...  my friends I have are SCA and my family is as well so it is just natural to have the SCA wrapped up in my mundane...

Okay, I'm going to stop now...  Thanks for the floor.
Katrine la Esclopiera  <---- coming home very, very soon!

Thora Olafsdottir <thora_olafsdottir at hotmail.com> wrote:
Greetings and Good Morning Ansteorra,

Just a little while back we were talking about gas prices and participation.
I noticed that everyone was talking about going to events. What about the
little things that make us communities, A&S nights, Scribes and
Illuminators, Fighter practices? An event is a once in a while thing for
most of us but the meetings and practices are much more often. How do these
affect your fuel consumption and will you be able to afford them after gas
hits the $2.00/gallon mark? Do you live in the central location of your
group or in it's hinterlands? Do you think this will spark more small local
groups or not have an effect?

Curiously Yours in Service,
Thora Olafsdottir