[Elfsea] Gas prices and local participation

lizdenpeters at juno.com lizdenpeters at juno.com
Sun May 9 21:40:10 PDT 2004

Good Gentles,

When I purchased my vehicle, it was with several purposes in mind & SCA
Events was definitely part of that.  I have a station wagon with rails on
top for additional load.  I also got a larger engine than my previous
vehicle (a V-6)  so if a trailer or small pop up became financially
feasible, it would be able to pull same.  And, being notoriously cheap,
good gas mileage was a consideration also.  Admittedly, gas prices are
going up and the pundits say they may top out at $3.00/gallon or more.
However, since my vehicle travels over 300 miles per $20-25.00 fill up
even in town, it is not quite the issue for me that it may be for others.
 When I purchased my vehicle, I knew that gas prices would only continue
to rise so that was a large consideration.  Also, my vehicle uses regular
unleaded, typically, the cheapest stuff around.

For me, the largest cost consideration for events is gate & food since,
depending on the event, that is 2-5+ times my gasoline cost for
transportation as we have dietary considerations to deal with.  For a
weekend event, for example, $20.00 for gate, $10-20.00 for feast, if
available, and $20.00 to $40.00 for food to take with us.  If we eat at a
restaurant during the weekend, add another $15.00 to $20.00 or more.
Hotel or motel costs vary if we are staying at one.  So, approximately,
$100.00 for the event related expenses if we are camping against
$20-25.00 for gasoline.  Also, these numbers do not include any "fun"
purchases made at the event.  In short, I look at all aspects of event
expense before deciding to go or stay home.  IMHO, the gasoline expense,
for me, is neglige compared to the other expenses related to attending an
event.

Evaluating all the expenses relating to attending an event is how I
predicate my decision on whether or not to attend.  For the other things,
like guild meetings, populace & business, cost of gasoline is really the
only cost to consider since they do not require gate or eating out, etc.
And, where, these days, can you find something fun to do simply for the
cost of the gasoline to get there and back home??  Not many.

Nuala