[Elfsea] GW land

mysticfalcon at onebox.com mysticfalcon at onebox.com
Thu Nov 11 14:53:36 PST 2004

Good Day,

   There has been a lot of discussion about land for the upcoming war and I wanted to express a few words and hopefully settle some questions that have been brought up.
   Like unto every year, land allocation is given by the number of people who pre-register.  Per person that registers a group is also given and then the land is divided up per that number.  For each person pre-reg a 15x15 space is alloted.  Per Sir Godwin a "common" area is also given to each group, this (as of last year) is a 20x20 spot.  How this area is used, depends upon the group.
   The duties of the Regional coordinators is to gather the information from the pre-registrations (names, tent sizes, day of arrival, etc) and enter this in a database. The corrdinators are also asked to be the middle man for answering questions on how to pre-register, how to get the forms, change information on pre-registrations entered, and verify info.
     This information is then given to Sir Godwin and myself.  We use this information as a check list to the offical Meridian list that comes out about 2-3 weeks before war.  If there are any discrepencys between the two list, we correct them.  Godwin and I are also responsible for answering any concerns about land and any issues that can not be answered (either by lack of information or authority) by our regional coordinators.
    In a nut shell, the placement of groups is not decided until we are actually onsite before war starts, this is due to the amount of time that we have between the final confirmation of numbers and the start of war.  There is also the issue of what land is usable for camping.  For those who have been to war a couple of times, you are aware that due to weather and such what was good camping land last year, might not be this year and visa versa.  Genrally the group placement is roughly the same, but that is not the stead fast-written-in-stone law.  There are several groups whom have remained in the same spot for years.  This is due to their steady numbers over the years.  But of course, numbers do change, and groups do split off.  An example of this is Arkam, Loch Ruadh, BL War company.  With these changes in numbers and split off of groups land layout does change to accomidate the shift and additional groups.  All special requests for certain areas of land are fully encouraged to be address to myself and Godwin.  We will take into consideration your requests and do what we can. If the request can be accomplished it will be, but not everything is possible.
    Before getting land assignments, I strongly encourage each group to have a "Camp Mom/Dad", basically someone who, upon arrival to war on Monday, helps layout were their groups tents will be.  I have seen this done in years past by groups like Loch Ruadh, and it has shown to be a great asset. Once a group has a camp mom/dad they can request information from the regional coordinator. Information like tent sizes of those in their group and day of arrival. This could help in the set up, so that you do not have someone who is coming in later in the week be in the very back of camp because it is hard to get them back there to set up. The information can also be used as a marker of tents sizes so the camp mom/dad can play "Tetris" on how to arrange tents in their groups alloted space.  Special requests like who wants to camp next to who can also be funneled through these camp parents. But this is the responsibilty of each group, and not that of the regional corridinators or the Liasons.  We are here to gather information, answer questions, help out, and assign land, but it is up to each individual group on what to do with that land.  If the desire is to share with anouther group to better facilitate needs-go for it.  If it is to stand alone and show off the honor and prowless of your group-go for it.
    The point is that we go to Gulf Wars every year to have a good time, make and get reaquainted with old freinds and show the Known World who we are.  We are Ansteorrans, and a group in which I have seen no greater.
    I encourage everyone to pre-reg and if issues arise in concern with war, please feel free to contact myself and Godwin, and we will do all in our power to help out.

In Service,
Humbly Yours,
Lady Honour du Bois
Squire to Sir Galen of Bristol