[Elfsea] Demo Reflections

Spence Mabry smabry at flash.net
Sat Sep 18 21:31:07 PDT 2004

I received a card from Linda Wells (the lady from Keller Public Library)
thanking me for being at the event (I assume everyone will receive one
shortly, if she has your address).  The thing I want to point out is the
following (and this is a direct quote):

"I hope you enjoyed mingling with the over 1000 visitors!"

1000!

The first year this was held, they had about 200 people show up.  The next
year over 400.  Last year over 600.  And now over 1000!  This is phenomenal.

But that isn't the only thing.  Maria and Donnel are right is saying that we
have laid (and are constantly laying) the seeds for our future in these
demos.  We may not see immediate growth, but if someone, years down the
road, remembers that fighter who asked to fight for them and do them honor,
or the person who should them how thread was made, or let people watch
someone do calligraphy or illumination and they now have the desire to do
this themselves, we have been successful.  We have touched someone and made
their life better.  We weren't concerned about ours, but about theirs.

We gave them hope for the future.

After all, aren't we sharing The Dream each time we put on garb and go out.

By sharing this dream, we may make it possible for someone to live it as we
do.

Ceatta
In Service to the Dream, my Barony, and my Kingdom