[Elfsea] Knitting and Crocheting Day in DFW

Morgan Cain (Ret.) morgancain at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 27 22:29:37 PDT 2004

Not strictly SCA, but knitting dates to pre-1600 and I know a lot of SCA people in the Metroplex knit or crochet and are probably not a members of the many groups and guilds participating in this event, so I hope the list owners let this go through.  Consider it a PSA.

The annual Knit Out and Crochet Too! event for the DFW area is this coming Saturday, October 2nd, from 10:00am to 6:00pm.  It will be held at the Half Price Books on Northwest Highway, just east of Central, in Dallas.  There is NO charge to attend, and NO charge for any of the classes, help, handouts, etc.   We have teachers for beginners and on more advanced topics in both knitting and crocheting.  We have door prizes from LYS and others.  We have regular classes and on-going "help me!" corners.  We will be collecting items to donate to charities supported by the LYS such as Parkland Hospital and the NYFD Scarves Project, and yarn for the Tarrant County Women's Prison project.

So far, both crocheting guilds and a majority of the knitting guilds and mixed-creativity groups in the Metroplex are actively participating (except the one co-running the knitting demo at the Celtic Heritage Festival the following weekend), and we expect members from all the groups to attend at some point.  It's a great way to meet others, learn about new yarn shops (did you know that we have fourteen in the greater Metroplex and surroundings?), and get in some very productive hooking and needling.  This is the biggest event yet for the Metroplex since the year we had to hold it in two LYS since one could no longer handle the crowds.  We have people from Tyler, Waco, Bedford, and Denton saying they will attend.

Historical accuracy is highly optional - the key element is to have fun!

                                                    ---= Margo Lynn (formerly "little Morgan")

"Life is an unbroken succession of false situations."            ---= Thornton Wilder
Come see "Our Town" October 1-17 - half price Thursdays
www.friscocommunitytheatre.com for tickets and info
(Dress rehearsal on September 30th is FREE.  Be there by 8:00pm)
Auditions for their winter Shakespeare play are December 18th & 20th.
"I'm an actor.  We don't have politics."                     ---= Miles in "The Drawer Boy"