[Elfsea] Cook's Guild

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Wed Jan 5 21:16:33 PST 2005

The Cook's Guild meets the third Monday of each month. We generally have a
topic or theme each time, one or more kitchen skills, and we nearly always
cook something yummy and eat it. Our themes include topics from the basics,
logistics, and period cooking.

Basics
    1.    knife work, types of cooking (sauté vs fry, boil vs poach, roast
vs bake, etc.)
    2.    where to get ingredients
    3.    building a menu
    4.    sanitation
    5.    sauces, gravies, toppings, etc.
    6.    kitchen chemistry
Logistics of cooking for large groups
    1.    planning for use of burners and ovens
    2.    workflow in the kitchen
    3.    what can be kept warm, what can be reheated, rules of cooling and
warming
    4.    presentation including head table
    5.    organizing servers
    6.    what to do the week before, the day before, the morning of, and
after
Period Cooking
    1.    what ingredients were used and when
    2.    what herbs, spices, and other condiments were used and when
    3.    what techniques were known and used and when
    4.    variation from country to country
    5.    redactions
    6.    period sources

If you are interested, please come join us.

Caelin on Andrede
2220 Patterson Pl
Arlington, Tx 76012
map coordinates:
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=Hui5Lup_0TreHpEVuakYObyCaJhsvjmIO4Q-&cs
z=Arlington%2C+Tx+76012&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=