[Youth-combat] RE: [Elfsea] RE: [Steppes] Fwd:[Ansteorra]YouthfulCombata...

Dukepmg at aol.com Dukepmg at aol.com
Fri Jan 14 08:29:52 PST 2005

Morgan,

You are correct.  If a minor, with the consent of their parents, chooses to
transition from Youth to Adult combat, the trainer need not become a warranted
marshal for Youth.  In this case, Sir Duncan as a warranted marshal will have
the authority to train 16 -17 year olds for adult combat.  If a minor starts
out training for adult combat, he will be bound by adult rules and does not
need to go through the youth combat authorizing process at all.  Once a young
adult participates in his first tournament/melee, he will not be allowed to
transition back to the youth category.  The time for that decision is during
training.

A young adult who transitions to the adult category will have the opportunity
not fight an opponent he/she feels uncomfortable with.  For example, if a
slight-framed individual is paired up with an opponent who outweighs him 4 times
over, he may choose not to continue the bout.  Or if an adult feels
uncomfortable fighting a youth, then he can choose not to continue the bout as well.
Both will be allowed to advance without prejudice.  Once the minor turns 18, if
either of these situations occur, then one would have to yield and the other
would advance.

Every individual, regardless of their age, takes a risk when he/she chooses
to step onto the list field.  I am a firm believer that if this is something
your young adult wants to do and you as a parent are supportive of it, then as
parents we need to make sure he/she learns the rules and knows how to protect
themselves.  Other kingdoms have forged through and set up this type of
program.  I am certain it did not come without worry and concern regarding injuries
and lawsuits.

In the end, it is up to the parents to decide what is best.

Duke Patrick Michael
Earl Marshal