[Youth-combat] RE: [Elfsea] RE: [Steppes] Fwd: [Ansteorra] YouthfulCombatants

Michael of Langley michaeloflangley at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 19:48:02 PST 2005

To all concerned,

My concern is that during a melee, such as Gulf Wars, the younger fighters
will be indistinguishable from older more seasoned fighters.  At Gulf Wars
last year, during the spear tournament, an Ansteorran combatant had his
chinstrap broken and the helmet hit him in his face when he took a heavy
spear thrust.  This was not in a grand melee, but a two against two spear
tournament.  Our KING took the blow well...

Now, lets think about a 16 year old, who is still growing, taking a face
shot from a fiberglass spear.  Unfortunately, our Earl Marshall will not be
there to make sure that the fighters are going to take it easy on them and
not bruise them too much.  The younger fighters, still maturing, will be at
the mercy of the opposing force - I stress the "still maturing" part.

We wear pads now and have parents attend the tournaments for a two fold
reason, to avoid unnecessary injuries and law suits and to get the parents
more involved with their youth combatants.  A lawsuit can be placed against
anyone for any reason - waiver or not (and while it may not stand up in
court, it must still be defended against).  Is it worth it? I can hear it
now when the first serious injury occurs - "You said he was ready and that
big guy just hit him way to hard!!! Who is going to pay all these doctor
bills! Why didn't someone stop him! I would have stopped him if I was here
watching (but because I was on merchants row because I'm not REQUIRED to be
here - I was off shopping for my wife/husband)."

Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, we have fighters with prejudices -
"I'm gonna smack every (girl/Saracen/crusader/guy/archer/whatever) as hard
as I can when I see them, because they shouldn't be on the field".  After
the blow is thrown, "Oh, I'm so sorry - I didn't mean to hit you that hard!"
rarely makes up for it.  Yes, we are always chivalrous and say "Its ok - no
problem - groan...” but inside, we're secretly hoping they get creamed on
the field and we get to see it (be honest).

What will we say when a 16 year old is carried off with broken ribs, or a
ruptured spleen from too hard of a thrust? "Oh, sorry kid, that's life - can
we get a 'Lay on' here?"

My SINCERE hope is that one of our youth fighters NEVER has anything like
this happen to them.  This may ruffle a few feathers, but the youth fighters
are worth it.  They will be 18 soon enough, after all, its only 730 days...

"...Faith is daring the soul to believe what the eyes cannot see..."

Lord Michael of Langley
Squire to Sir Corwin von Xanten and Sir Anton Qwith
Southern Regional Youth Marshal