[Elfsea] Fw: What Would Queen Elizabeth Eat?

Steve K. Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Mon Jul 11 08:17:47 PDT 2005

Message
On Monday, July 11 at 7 pm, please help us welcome U.T.A. professor Elisabeth Cawthon to the Grand Prairie Main Library.   Dr. Cawthon will speak on food and dining at Elizabeth's court, in her lecture, "A Dinner With Elizabeth I". She specializes in English legal and constitutional history, early modern England, comparative Anglo-American history, and medical history. Historical cooking and cookbooks are a passion of hers that she will indulge with this fascinating talk. We hope to serve samples of some historic fare.

Dr. Cawthon's talk is part of the Elizabeth I: Ruler and Legend exhibit, on display at the Grand Prairie Main Library until August 5. This exhibit explores the long life and colorful reign of Queen Elizabeth I of England, the remarkable ruler who made England into a world power. When she took the throne in 1558, many questioned whether a woman could rule England, but during her reign of nearly 45 years, Elizabeth won her subjects' allegiance through wise decisions and courage in the face of conflict.

The exhibit   "Elizabeth I: Ruler and Legend" was organized by the Newberry Library, Chicago, in collaboration with the American Library Association. It is made possible through major grants from the National Endowment for the Humanities, and additional support from the Vance Family Fund and the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Elisabeth McMahon

PR/Outreach Librarian

Grand Prairie Public Library System

(972) 237-5740