[Elfsea] FW: [Steppes] Musicians among the populace?

Spence Mabry smabry at flash.net
Wed Mar 2 21:01:54 PST 2005

For those interested in such ...

Ceatta

-----Original Message-----
From: steppes-bounces+smabry=flash.net at ansteorra.org
[mailto:steppes-bounces+smabry=flash.net at ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Genie
Barrett
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 12:16 PM
To: steppes at ansteorra.org
Subject: Re: [Steppes] Musicians among the populace?

I have a great book of music that I downloaded from the Internet of about a
hundred different dance tunes with two to five parts. If anyone is
interested: http://crab.rutgers.edu/~pbutler/music.html
Go here.  The man who did most of the arrangements is a integral part of
the East Kingdom's musicians guild, and a mean "flute" player, among other
things.

I'll play, but my instrument is a Chinese DiZi, and the scale is slightly
different.  I also, however, play with a tin whistle, and can pick out most
tunes from the other six holed instruments I've played with.  My fear is
half notes.  GRIN

YIS
Maggie MacPhaerson
(Who is trying to find a way to go back to school and get her
Masters/Doctorate in Musicology)

You said:

I attempt the recorder, too, and I read music, but I am a bit out of
practice myself.  I guess you realized that the 'flûte à bec' I previously
mentioned is the medieval French term for the recorder (I've always hated
the modern American instrument name).  It makes sense, really, if you
picture it.  The French name literally means a flute with a beak-like
mouthpiece, or 'flute with a beak'.

I once played the harmony of the song, 'Nonesuch' with Baron Mahdi playing
the melody at an event several years ago.  I have since lost my nice wooden
'flûte' and haven't replaced it.  It might have even been stolen - not sure.

Since not all of the Steppes members, past or present, are on the Steppes
email list, you might consider putting a note in the "Notes and Challenges"
in the next Black Star that the Steppes Dance Guild is promoting interest in
getting a Steppes Instrumental Musicians Guild started here.  Just a
thought.  :)

Gabrielle