[Elfsea] Blogs?

Cid sidneycid at yahoo.com
Tue May 10 13:10:57 PDT 2005

Well here's my oppinion on things...

What is the appeal of Blogs?

Blogs are kinda like an online journal.  Mine keeps me in touch with friends all over the world.  It lets me keep people up to date on what's going on in my life, and in the case of this summer while I'm in Chicago, aleviating me of sending out tons and tons of repeat emails.  It also gives people the opportunity to discuss or comment on what you've said.  I've asked different things before, like: should I cut my hair? and random things and people are able to comment back and interact with not only me, but others that we're all friends with.

Do people who have Blogs think that no one will read them and put their
own spin on things?

Um, I have seen some do this, but that was because they knew people read their blog and wanted to distort the truth from the beginning.  I see more often people expressing their own oppinions about matters instead of distorting the truth.

What do you do if someone takes your blog out of context?

I've had this happen to me.  What did I do?  I shut down my blog and stoped blogging at that particular place.  Which was probably not the best idea.  Since then I've just told people plainly if they have misunderstood something I have said.  Communication and just letting people know what is going on is a good thing, which blogs give you the option of doing, but as with everything there is the intended message and the received message that is transmitted through a myriad of different filters and such, and sometimes we just have to rephrase things.

How do you let someone know if something on a blog hurts you?

Tell them.  I mean you can always read it, be hurt and offended and sit on it and say nothing, but what good does that do you?

Do you think that Officers, nobles, peers etc should be held to higher
standard on a blog? If so why?

In my oppinion, I think that if the blog is strictly a mundane blog, no.  We all have our own lives and the sca does not govern all aspects of our being.  If the blog was an official Ansteorran blog, yes, and if the person blogging is blogging in personia as an officer, nobel, peer, etc, they are representing themselves and the barony or kingdom or group and should continue in good conduct.

If problems arise from a blog comment what do you think is the best way
to correct that situation?

Communication.  I like face to face communication myself, but email or phone works just as well.  Just let people know what is going on.

Here is a situation:  I go to college, and someone made a blog for our school's president where the 'president' talked about things like rising tuition and some issues that are going on at school.  Everything said was very close to something that he would actually say, but a little twisted.  Everything was right, but somehow a bit skewed.  At one of our assemblies (yes we have assemblies in college, it's dumb but oh well) he addressed the issue and said up front that the blog was not his, and the information inaccurate.

Hope this has been interesting  ^_^

--Ira