[Elfsea] Re: Elfsea Digest, Vol 24, Issue 20

Paul Mitchell sirgalen at gmail.com
Tue May 10 13:59:31 PDT 2005

Galen here...

Hmmm, philosophical questions. Can't... resist... commenting!

> Subject: [Elfsea] Blogs?
> Just trying to get some info.
>
> What is the appeal of Blogs?

Funny you should mention this today, of all days. I had a "blog" of sorts
before blogs were cool. Before, in fact, I ever heard the word. I wrote a
semi-weekly on-line column about politics, religion, culture and whatever I
felt like. I always wanted to be a political columnist, the next George
Will, and I thought that the web provided me an opportunity to begin
writing, even if it wasn't published or read. About a dozen people read it
from time to time.

But just today, I started a new blog <http://regularthoughts.blogspot.com>.

I never wrote about the SCA; I always figured if I had something to say, I
would post it to the Elfsea list, or speak up at Moot.

Do people who have Blogs think that no one will read them and put their
> own spin on things?

I hope many, many people will read my blog. Tell all your friends.

What do you do if someone takes your blog out of context?

As long as they link back to me, I don't have a problem with it.

> How do you let someone know if something on a blog hurts you?

Like always, tell them. My blog has a comments section, and my email is
available on my profile.

Personally I would much rather talk to people on the phone or in person
> or write my private thoughts in a diary than something that can be
> accessed by anyone with a internet connection.

That's a fair point of view. But my blog is not for my private thoughts,
it's for my public thoughts. I hope to make my views more understandable to
people who don't share them, and to provoke others to share their opinions
with me. My private thoughts I tell to Allessandra, or pray about, or keep
to myself.

Do you think that Officers, nobles, peers etc should be held to higher
> standard on a blog? If so why?

If they're writing about the SCA under their real or SCA name, yes. I don't
want to look at the Baron's Blog and read what a jerk he thinks I am. If
they're writing under an alias and not mentioning names (including the name
of the branch), maybe then it'd be OK. (I only use this an example. I am not
aware of Armand having a blog, nor of him thinking I'm a jerk. But Daniel
knows what a jerk I can be.)

If I'd had a blog when I was active in Ansteorra, I'd have been very careful
what I put there that was SCA-related. Some officers/nobles/peers have
political enemies who would think nothing of gleaning damaging information
from a public source and using it to their advantage.

> Perhaps these are easy or hard questions. Just trying to figure out the
> whole Blog concept and idea.

The internet has had such a very interesting impact on the SCA. Things
happen so much more quickly than they used to. At the same time, it's made
our memories even longer. These can both be good or bad effects.

If problems arise from a blog comment what do you think is the best way
> to correct that situation?

Like always, improved communication is the answer to almost all problems.

Looking forward to the commentary.

> Richard Fairbourne

- Galen of Bristol