[Elfsea] Re: [Ansteorra] Blogs?

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Tue May 10 15:27:40 PDT 2005

Dale, Richard N said:
> Just trying to get some info.
>
> What is the appeal of Blogs?

The opportunity to express oneself in print.  I think a large percentage
of people have the desire to write and be published, and this is an
opportunity that many would not have otherwise.

> Do people who have Blogs think that no one will read them and put their
> own spin on things?

Is this not true of any form of communication?  Many bloggers keep their
blogs private so that only an invited circle of friends may read them.
Still the same problem, but at least on a limited scale.  Still, a blogger
who allows all and sundry to access his/her blog must be aware that there
will always be those who may misconstrue what is meant, whether innocently
or with malice.

> What do you do if someone takes your blog out of context?

In the Scarlet Letter, Loch Ruadh's newsletter, we publish Ruadh Noises,
which has come to mean an innocent statement deliberately taken out of
context.  I mention this only to point out that anything can be taken out
of context, accidentally or deliberately.  If someone takes something on a
blog out of context, the blogger can (and I think would be wise to)
clarify it.

> How do you let someone know if something on a blog hurts you?

Email them or speak to them directly, just as you would deal with any
other hurtful statement.

> Personally I would much rather talk to people on the phone or in person
> or write my private thoughts in a diary than something that can be
> accessed by anyone with a internet connection.

I see blogs as being more like a personal newsletter on a subject or
subjects that interest the blogger and those he/she choses to share them
with.

> Do you think that Officers, nobles, peers etc should be held to higher
> standard on a blog? If so why?

While I think that everyone should be held to high standards (low
expectations can only lead to low levels of action and achievement), I
think that anyone in a higher level of authority and/or position should
represent themselves well in all aspects of their public lives.  I cannot
publicly act like a jerk in my mundane life as Sam Milligan and expect
people to ignore that fact when I am representing my Shire and the SCA as
Lord Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain, Chronicler of Loch Ruadh.  While the two
are separate aspects of my life, they are not separate people.

> Perhaps these are easy or hard questions. Just trying to figure out the
> whole Blog concept and idea.
>
> If problems arise from a blog comment what do you think is the best way
> to correct that situation?

Contact the blogger privately, just as you would if the comment were
spoken or written in an email or in hardcopy.

> Looking forward to the commentary.
>
> Richard Fairbourne

Good questions, and ones that are a good idea to address. I for one have
enjoyed reading the opinions that others have already expressed, and look
forward to reading more of them.

Padraig