[Elfsea] Blogs?

Tim Rayburn trayburn at gmail.com
Tue May 10 12:43:13 PDT 2005

Interesting question ... interesting enough to get me un-lurk and
render an opinion.

> What is the appeal of Blogs?

The ability to speak on matters important to you.

> Do people who have Blogs think that no one will read them and put their
> own spin on things?

No, I don't think this at all, and I do have a blog.  Of course, I
blog on matters technical (programming) not social, political, or SCA
related.

> What do you do if someone takes your blog out of context?
> How do you let someone know if something on a blog hurts you?

Talk to them, in both cases, just like if anything else they
communicated, like email, did the same.

> Do you think that Officers, nobles, peers etc should be held to higher
> standard on a blog? If so why?

That depends.  Should they be held to a higher standard because they
blog? No.  Should they be held to a higher standard because they are
an Officer/Noble/Peer/etc? Yes.  That higher standard affects how they
communicate in all forms, written/verbal/email/blogs/etc.

> If problems arise from a blog comment what do you think is the best way
> to correct that situation?

Again, talk to the person who upset you, preferably in private.

Galen of Bristol once told me to never put into an email something
that I would not want on the front cover of the New York Times the
next day.  His point, I believe, was that no email is in fact private.
 This is all the more important regarding blogs, they don't even claim
to private, and are popular due to their syndication ability so your
comments could be aggregated by someone else who believes or stands
for something you can't stand.

--
Tim Rayburn
trayburn at gmail.com