[Elfsea] Blogs

Genna C gennac at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:04:51 PDT 2005

Interesting topic~

I'm weighing in because this is a debate that's been going on for some
time & since someone finally thought to ask for opinions, I'm not
averse to sharing mine...

I have a blog. It's a fun little thing that allows me to share goings
on, photos and funny stuff with friends and family all over the
country. Since I am not from here & have friends & family all over the
dad-gum place, this is pretty handy. They love being able to check in
& see what I'm up to & leave comments.

Yes I am prone to put up racy content/jokes/links/photos or use bad
language or talk about my fear of toilets. The folks who know me are
not offended by this. Nor are they offended when I give an opinion on
something controversial because (a) it's MY opinion, I'm not forcing
it upon anyone (b) it's MY blog and I'm not forcing them to read it.
They are amused by the odd things I have to say because ...well.. they
know me.

Insofar as all that, it has been utterly harmless.

However...

Problems can arise wherein people read the blogs of folks they don't
know very well and start forming opinions. Things can be taken out of
context because Reader doesn't know Blogger well enough to recognize
their sense of humour. Or maybe Reader forms an opinion about Blogger
based on something in their blog... "Oh this person is a bad person
because they engage in this activity." "This person must be a (fill in
the blank) because they believe in (fill in the blank)." This can
obviously lead to some very venemous misunderstandings.

For that reason my blog is about 95% protected. Only occasionally will
I publish a public entry. Not because I have anything to hide, mind
you. Rather because I am a unique person with unique thoughts and
ideas and they aren't always general consensus. I would prefer if
someone wanted to know me or what I think of something, they talk to
me.  I don't want to invite misunderstandings or unfair judgement
based on the fact that (for example) I don't eat meat and my natural
haircolor isn't really red.

("Oh you fake hair-color-user!!!! For Shame!!!)

If anyone read anything on my blog that bothered them, I would expect
them to do the adult thing and talk to me about it. Simple enough.
We're not in high school.

Sadly, Peers/Nobles, etc ARE held to a higher standard. But in MY
opinion,  we should remember that mundane life should have no bearing
on SCA. Therefore, unless a blog is dedicated entirely to ones'
persona/SCA, they are entitled to "the mundane clause". If Duke
So-and-So has a blog under his mundane name "Elmer Smith" and talks
about the daily mundane life of Elmer Smith then that is his mundane
right. Especially if he didn't advertise the fact that he has a blog.
Perhaps his cousin Bessie in Muskegee likes to read about his kids and
wife so that's the main reason he has it.

Of course if Elmer Smith published his Death List & how he wanted to
blow up his neighbor's RV with his neighbor IN it, said opinion is
null and void because...well...he's a murderous loon. ;)

I personally like reading others' blogs too. Many people have funny,
insightful, interesting things to say. (Except Val... he just likes to
talk)

Just my 2 cents and only because it was asked. :)

Genna