[Elfsea] Autumn Melees - the expedition

Rhonda and Stephen Hays housedragonstar at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 19 20:03:12 PDT 2005

As I promised last year, I have offered to cook for the troops going down from Elfsea (and any interested friends and neighbors).  This is my last year to cook, as I plan on being in armor next year.

I need to have help from at least two people:  one to help in the kitchen and one to play list field hostess.

The menu is similar to last year's, except dinner will be more southwestern in flavor.

I need to get some rough idea of how many are interested in going this year, so that we can start preparations early.  As in the past, there is also alot of tent sharing and car pooling. Since gas is at a premium, it would be good to get an idea of who is going so that people can start negotiating for space and rides.  If there is sufficient interest, we may ask for some baronial equipment.  We definitely need to have a covered area for eating and some tables.  Remember feast gear (bring a big soup bowl or be prepared to get seconds and thirds) and candles and lanterns.

Menu (more or less)

Sat am
muffins
pancakes
sausage, bacon
coffee
tea
oatmeal

Lunch on the field and back at camp once fighting is over
sandwiches (ham, etc)
chips
pretzels
pickles
you know the drill, salty carbs for the fighters and then sandwiches for them to inhale on their way to the shower

Dinner
Make your own giant bowl of tortilla soup:  tortilla strips, shredded chicken, chicken broth, (let me know if you need vegetable broth) cheese, sauteed onions, peppers, squash, corn, radishes (yes, they are traditional), tomatoes, sour cream - you fill your bowl with what you want, then ladle really hot broth on top of it all.
Chips, salsa (guac if it is cheap)
rice
beans (as in the smashed up kind)
more tortillas (corn of course - what else do you scoop up your rice and beans with?)
quesadillas
whatever else looks good in the store
some sort of dessert

Breakfast Sunday
take it with you breakfast tacos (yep, you guessed it, more tortillas)

The cost will be about the same as last year - about 10 to 12 dollars depending on how much I find on sale.  Money will be collected one week prior to the event.  Your last time to pay will be at fighter practice after Three Kings.  Refunds after that will depend on if we can "sell" you spot on site to someone and will happen after the event.

Please let me know off list if you are interested off list.  I will post this again as time draws closer.

email is medbliath at earthlink.net

medb