[Elfsea] FW: [Ansteorra] What has happened?

Greg Shetler frayduck at comcast.net
Tue Oct 4 16:13:28 PDT 2005

I hadn't been watching this thread on Ansteorra.  But now I've seen it, I'd
like to add a comment.

When the SCA is found by a newbie, it is gloriously fresh, exciting and
different.  The values everyone espouses are precious, shining and noble.

When the SCA is a fun new game to play for a fresh Lord or Lady, where noble
deeds and behavior are expected of others and oneself, it sparkles with
uncommon virtue despite the work that now seems ever more to rear its head
demanding attention.

When the SCA is the "thing to do for social recognition" of the hard-working
scion on the peers' watch-lists, the noble virtues are commonly practiced,
but are no longer so shiny and new.  The work underlying the game isn't
always so much fun, and buckets of sweat can sometimes tarnish the sheen of
courtesy or chivalry.

When the SCA is the social life of the well-broken-in old dinosaur, the
virtues have seeped in deep and are no longer noticed as being out of the
ordinary.  Rather, they are only noticed in their absence.  The tired snarl
becomes evidence of failing courtesy, and "common" chivalry passes unseen
besides its churlish cousin arrogance.

Probably already said somewhere... but it's my take on why so many
organizations in human society echo the same lament:  those who've played
long lament that all the wonderful things that attracted them are lost,
while those coming in are agog at the glory of those very things shining
from within those lamenting dinosaurs....

Dux