[Elfsea] Katrina reflief: Tarrant County compilation of how to help/refugee assistance

Daungerous Daungerous at desertdancer.com
Sun Sep 4 12:49:31 PDT 2005

FYI from another list I am on.

Daungerous
Pretty is as Pretty does
http://www.desertdancer.com

 >From Kay Sallee
knsall at juno.com <mailto:knsall at juno.com>
Note: This information is from an official media (press) release from
the City of Fort Worth, transmitted on Saturday Sept. 3. I personally
have no more information, as to the logistics of the assistance, which
has been organized officially by the City and agencies.
However, Displaced Katrina Americans were brought into the City on
Friday afternoon/evening and will continue arriving for shelter in
centers in Fort Worth and Arlington. If you want to help, do not appear
in those locations until you are called on to do so.
Donate money, items, and you--volunteers are needed--only thru the
avenues that have been set up to handle the logistics.
However, my personal thoughts are that neighborhood banners, signs,
etc., "Welcome to Fort Worth (Arlington, etc.), Katrina Americans,"
ribbons around trees or whatever -- certainly would show a Texas welcome
and a Texas heart.
My neighborhood association is considering this suggestion in its
advisory council. My impetus for this was having seen Greta Van Sustren
on Fox News last night as she broadcast from the Houston Astrodome, and
was praising Texas and Houston for its huge, efficient and warm
reception for the "refugees." (Let's face it, that is what they are --
right here in America!.)
Certainly we want the Katrina Americans to feel blessed to have arrived
here. A personal note: a friend of mine writes that her husband, a
Tarrant County judge, went over to the state school yesterday to
volunteer, just before 18 buses rolled in. She had sent some donations,
including some purses she had never used. Her husband said at the time
that he didn't think that they wanted purses. However, when he got back
home, he reported that they were the first things taken. As she wrote:
"they want something to put their things in."
Remember that blood is urgently needed, and also medical help has been
asked to assist in Houston at the Astrodome, as local medical
professionals are in short supply because so many went to the Gulf Coast
areas. I do have information about that for anyone who wants to send me
an e-mail. I will not be able to send back that info, however, until
much later tonight, as my own mother is in the hospital here.
Notice that donations can be taken to all citry golf courses. Do not
take donations to our local Salvation Army on E. Lancaster.