[Elfsea] Merryn's new food, wine list, and recipe sharing group

Charley Walter CharleyWalter at tx.rr.com
Sat Dec 23 00:36:31 PST 2006

Roast Prime Rib, boneless (it works boned as well, I just can't remember the
time differential for a boned piece of beef).

8 lb boneless rib-eye

5 TBSP - Kosher Salt
3 TBSP - Granulated Garlic (the dry stuff)
2 TBSP - Coarse Grind Black Pepper
A small amount of Olive Oil (I use extra virgin)

Bring the slab o' beef to room temperature.

Heat the oven to 250 degrees.

Mix the dry ingredients.

Rub the slab o' beef with the olive oil.

Cover the top and bottom of the beef with the dry ingredient mixture.  Grind
it in with your hand as best you can.  The idea here is that the salt will
draw out some juice, and the garlic and pepper will infuse the beef with
their goodness while the moisture is exiting the top layer.

Bake, on a cookie sheet (nothing with a high lip), for about 3 hours.  After
two hours start checking the temperature every 15 minutes (at the price of
beef, you really don't want to screw this up).  I use an instant reading
thermometer (analog), and remove it from the oven at 130 degrees.

Serve at 140 degrees (after it rests).  It will be pink all the way through,
but done.  And delicious.

Copious amounts of beer, ale, mushrooms (with butter and Jack Daniels), and
horseradish are recommended.  Some roasted red potatoes wouldn't hurt
either.  I'm sure Lady Rosmerryn would have a wine recommendation.  Just a
feeling.

Good fellowship is the only other ingredient.

Cooked with love and sensitivity, there is no finer main course.