[Elfsea] Gratitude for a wonderful Vigil and Elevation - long

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Fri Jun 2 10:19:47 PDT 2006

Saturday at Steppes Warlord was my Vigil and Elevation to the Order of the
Pelican. It was a day to remember and cherish. Through the efforts of many,
many people who gave of their time and energy both before the event and on
Saturday, everything went smoothly with no stress for me (I know many of you
absorbed stress so I would not).

The Vigil tent was beautifully decorated and comfortable for both me and my
guests. The food was good and plentiful. The gatekeepers and guards did a
wonderful job of keeping things organized. The procession was really well
done. I got comments from many people that it was the best they had seen.
The herald was clear and precise. The readings were well done. The
procession was huge (thank you all) and it quickly dispersed which allowed
the audience to see and hear better.

The ceremony was more than I had expected. I got to choose people who are
heroes of mine in the SCA to speak for me. They were so lavish in their
praise that I was embarrassed (but very pleased). And I was quite proud to
be made a peer by their Majesties Mahdi and Varleria.

Before I get to specific people who were responsible for making all this
happen, I would like to extend an invitation to all those who helped in any
way with the Vigil or Elevation to join Pyro and I for dinner on Monday
night (June 5th, 2006) in place of the Cook's Guild night. I will need an
RSVP so I can make sure we have enough space and food. I'm sorry some of you
who live far away will probably not be able to attend. I'll try to make it
up to you later.

I want to thank the following people for wonderful things they did. I'm
afraid some of that day is a blur and some of the wonderful things that were
done in my behalf were not even known to me. So if I neglect to thank
someone, please forgive me and mention it to me so I might thank you
properly.

Master Richard Fairborn has been my mentor, guide, and representative in the
Pelican circle for several years. None of this would have happened without
his sage advice and extensive efforts on my behalf. He also handled the
logistics, planning, and much of the execution of the Vigil, the Elevation,
and the party afterward. I suspect it was he who absorbed most of the stress
of the day. Though I am now his peer, I expect to continue turning to him
for advice and assistance.

Ker Megan of Taransay (aka Pyro), my wife, who supported me enthusiastically
over the years when I made commitments that required sacrifice from her. She
made the banner of my arms and acted as my gatekeeper throughout the Vigil.
As always, I marvel she has chosen me.

Her Excellency, Amaline who spent most of her free hours (as if she had any)
for the last 3 weeks working on my Elevation garb. We chose a nice outfit
from an Italian mid-1500s painting and shopped for just the right material.
She made the tights (interesting process), made sample garments for fitting,
made the full under tunic (a wonderful outfit by itself, but only the
sleeves show), and the over tunic complete with trim. The garments were new
to her and posed many challenges. She did a truly great job and I will
treasure the garments. Thank you.

Giliana, wife to Master Richard and friend to me. She organized much of the
Vigil and party food, cooked (including the German potato salad because I
said I really loved it), got the ice cream at the last minute, and made sure
everything happened when it needed to. Thank you.

Asyln who worked tirelessly setting up the Vigil, cooking, and arranging the
party. I'm sure I don't know all she did. I do know every time I came up for
air she was very busy doing something that needed doing. I did not see her
stop from early morning until late evening. Thank you.

Treysa worked on the Vigil area, did much of the cooking, and set up and
operated the party area. As usual, she did it all with a smile and
enthusiasm. As I have told them, she and Arias are keepers. Thank you.

Arias set up the tents and area for the party, assisted in the cooking, and
did whatever was necessary all day. Thank you.

Fearghus also set up tents and the area for the party, organized my guards,
and generally did whatever anyone needed done during the day. Fearghus has
been my friend for many years and has always been there to help whenever
anyone from Elfsea, the archery community, or a friend needed help. Thank
you.

Daniel and Siobhan for the use of their tent for the party and for the
really nice Pelican horse brass (over 200 years old). It was a major hit.
All the other Pelicans are jealous. You have been my closest friends for
some time. Thank you.

Gerita, Arkell, and Genvieve organized the Clot of Chirurgeons in the
procession. Getting that many Chirurgeons together with red outfits was a
major accomplishment in itself. Thank you.

Angeal helped with the Vigil and the procession. Thank you.

Ciaus arranged for the mini Beef Wellingtons that were such a hit at the
party. He could not attend the event because he was working 70+ hour weeks,
but he managed this for me. Thank you.

Eleanore, the Society Chirurgeon and my boss, came from Wisconsin to
participate in my Elevation. It meant a lot to me to have her support. Thank
you.

Friar Galen, former Society Chirurgeon, former boss, and friend before that.
He and Countess Alyson made me a Master Chirurgeon several years ago. He
came to watch me become another kind of Master. He is a Flight Surgeon for
NASA and, when the last Pelican circle was scheduled, he was to monitor an
activity in space. He turned it over to someone else, drove to the event,
sat in the circle to support me, drove back immediately, and resumed his
NASA function. He brought his sons who also helped most of the day. In
addition to everything else, they were a great help in setting up the party.
Thank you.

Elspeth, Ulric, Gearhardt helped get the tent up and the party set up and
were generally wherever they were needed. Thank you.

Timothy was my herald. He wrote the words for the procession and it was the
best I have heard. As I said before, I got many, many compliments on the
procession and most of them were about the heralding. He came out of
retirement to do the procession for me. Thank you.

Nearly finally, I thank all the Chirurgeons who went to the trouble to wear
red in my procession and become the Clot of Chirurgeons. You were impressive
and, being members of a group of people who provide a high level of service
to the people of the SCA, your being in my procession meant a lot to me.
Thank you.

And the people who spoke for me. You wouldn't think it would be hard to
stand and hear people say nice things about you, but they did it so well
that I was a bit uncomfortable.

>From the Laurels, Mistress Stella and Mistress Xene. Both have long been
inspirations to me. Stella was the first Seneschal with whom I had worked
and my predecessor in that job. She is still my idea of the ideal Baronial
Seneschal. Xene was the first Baroness I knew. She became Elfsea's mother
figure and led the Barony with wisdom and compassion. She helped train me as
Seneschal and there was much to learn. I am honored these strong women spoke
for me. Thank you.

>From the Chivalry, Master Airaklee and HRH Aaron. Airaklee has been my
friend since I first started playing with Elfsea. I have always thought him
to be the image of Chivalry way before he became a Master. To be even nearly
as Chivalrous as he ... The only thing which could have made my night better
than it was would be to have Airaklee become a Lion. - And it Happened!!!
Aaron has been another image of Chivalry. He fights extremely well (as you
would expect of a Count and now HRH), but more importantly, he fights with
honor above all. He will call any shot that might be good. He holds himself
to the highest possible level of honor and Chivalry. He also is an
inspiration in his dedication to a goal and his stamina. I am honored these
great men spoke for me. Thank you.

>From the Roses, HRH Britta. I have admired Britta for many of the same
reasons I admire Aaron. She is a strong person who values honor above
winning, but works hard to win. She is a leader, goal driven, able to make
hard decisions, and compassionate. I am honored she spoke for me. Thank you.

>From the Lions, Master Robin. What can you say about Robin? He excels at
everything. He cares deeply about the people around him and acts on that to
make their lives better. The part of his speech about the Chirurgeons was
wonderful. I have admired him for many years and that admiration has grown
as I have come to know him better. I am honored he spoke for me and for the
Chirurgeons. Thank you.

In service,
Master Caelin on Andrede