[Elfsea] Fwd: [Loch-Ruadh] Heraldic Clothing Article

Estella Flather eflather at flash.net
Fri Nov 3 20:07:07 PST 2006

This is a good example of not always believing what you read. I don't know
what the person said about the women in the Luttrell Psalter, but they are
definitely wearing heraldic garments. The miniature from the Luttrell
Psalter showing Geoffrey Luttrell with his horse heraldically barded also
shows a woman wearing a heraldic gown with the arms of Luttrell impaling
Sutton, perhaps his wife Agnes Sutton, and the second lady wears a heraldic
gown with the arms of Luttrell impaling Scrope of Masham. Andrew, Geoffrey's
son was married to Beatrice le Scrope. This information is from The Luttrell
Psalter by Janet Backhouse. It was very important to Medieval families, by
the time heraldry became important, to show all their family connections.
    In service, HE Stella