[Elfsea] Darius' DiGrassi day, Oct 7

Don Riney dmriney at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 1 08:15:34 PDT 2006

Greetings all

Next weekend October 7 (weather permitting) I will begin opening my back yard up once a month on a Saturday to work through DiGrassi's "True Arte of Defence"

Weapons used to study this will be principally heavy rapier though should individuals wish to examine the text using cut and thrust that's fine too.

The afternoon will include some reading and evaluation of the period manual, walking through the steps described in the manual, as well as open sparing in the back yard. I hope on this first day to progress through to the discussion of Single Rapier which is the fourth "chapter" of the instruction offered.

Several websites offer transcriptions of DiGrassi
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~hudson/digrassi/
http://www.academiadellaspada.com/library/general/true_art.html
http://www.musketeer.org/manuals/diGrassi/contents.htm

and many more out there. I will be using the fist and third links above for my reading though being able to contrast other translations might well prove useful and interesting. I also have on hand at the house an OED.

After playing with swords for the afternoon all are more than welcome to hot dogs, burgers, brats, or other stuff to toss on the grill (I have 2) as well as your favorite drink, for socializing.

We will begin around noonish the address is
809 N Bowen Rd
Arlington TX, 76012

In faith and fun
Darius of the Bells, OL
Cadet to Don Llywellyn

(please forward as you see fit to those who may be interested)