[Elfsea] Elfsea A&S Night - Sept. 19th

Dyan Johnson johnson_dyan at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 7 08:31:23 PDT 2006

Tassels...did someone say Tassels...?!
  Those who know me know how I feel about these little treasures!
  Careful...they are addicting to make, use & give!

       Tassels have evolved to evoke symbolic meanings, positions of rank & fashion statements, with little functional use other than adornment. With the artist eye giving great attention to detail, there is little difficulty in finding examples of tassels throughout the centuries being used by almost every culture. Look for tassels in paintings, illuminations, on statues & textiles.

  another tidbit...Asian warriors attached large tassels (usually red wool) on spear handles about a foot down from the blade...to absorb & wick blood, preventing a slippery hold to the spear
    Ldyinnes at aol.com wrote:
    also, Tassels are very period for Arrow tip cleaners.  Archers can wear them on their belts and clean to tips of arrows to get mud, etc.  off.

Several years I made a bunch of tassels as favors for all the archers at our, used to be, archery tournament.  and they used them for years.

Innes