[Elfsea] OT Trinity River area problems?

Mark Wandrey falconsword at tx.rr.com
Wed Aug 29 18:08:55 PDT 2007

Operating gas mines are almost invisible. You could be ten feet from one and
except for a mechanical sound you'd have no idea it was there. Gas drilling
like any deep core drilling is obnoxious, noisy, messy, and can be polluting
if proper care isn't taken. Would I want one in my back yard? Hell no.  On
the next block? Sure, I'd be a hypocrite not to agree.

Now, as for energy, I find it deplorable that we are still using gasoline
internal combustion engines. Because of the pollution? Our modern cars (even
non-hybrids) are so clean that you can't even kill yourself by running it in
the garage all night with the doors closed. Most of our vehicular pollution
in the US comes from diesel trucks, buses and planes. Why aren't we using
hydrogen, pneumatic, or even all diesel (diesel car engines are both
cleaner, simpler, and have higher mileage in many cases. and diesel fuel has
fewer byproducts during refinery). Hell, we could make all our energy needs
by producing it in orbit and beaming it down via microwave.

Ugh, sorry isn't this an SCA list? LOL!

Iorek the Opinionated, Olde Phart in training.