[Elfsea] Middle Eastern Dance Competition at Defender

Dragonetti dragonetti at generich.com
Wed Aug 8 22:27:04 PDT 2007

Greetings Your Grace,

Having asked the question, I am compelled to answer. To me, one sounded like
an activity occurring at Elfsea Defender and the other sounded like a titled
championship.

The first announcement that I saw regarding the Middle Eastern Competition
at Elfsea Defender was posted to the kingdom list and did not appear to have
a competition "name" per se, but rather an invitation to a "Grand Tournament
of Dancing" which then went on to name the grand prize as being the title
"Pearl of Elfsea" which is extremely close to an award name already in use
within our (yours and my) barony. This fact was the source of *my* concern.

Only this evening did the discussion turn from the overlap of a heraldic
reference to the name of the competition. However, had the competition been
worded "Elfsea Defender's Jewel of Middle Eastern Dance" I would have found
no objection. Perhaps the distinction is too subtle or gives the appearance
of playing games of semantics, but that was not the intent and it was
certainly not intended to show favoritism or have political overtones. My
apologies to you and anyone else who feels that that was the case.

My limited experience has shown me that public discussions of this type do
not represent or serve us well, especially in the eyes of newcomers, but
also in those of veterans as well. Therefore, I shall not comment further on
this topic on the public list. For me, the hour grows late.

Baron Armand Dragonetti
Lord Elfsea
Lord Dragonsfire Tor