[Elfsea] road trippers from the snowy north

Kristi Johnson kristi_johnson1972 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 07:18:29 PST 2007

I don't have answers to all your questions but here is
what I have experienced.

Weather.  No real telling but it should be milder than
anything North of here.  It could be 80 degrees and
sunny or it could be 4 below and snow and ice.  We
really don't know until the 5day forcasts come out.
Preparing to dress in layers is the best idea.  I have
lived here almost 20 years and winter still seems to
throw me curveballs every year.

Traffic in Dallas will be nasty. It doesn't matter the
hour, the weather or the construction or wrecks,
Dallas traffic is just yucky.  Not usually bumper to
bumper but just fast cars and exits in places that
don't always make sence.  Fort Worth is not as bad
except around the Malls. Those exits will back up.

I have no experience with New Years out.  I stay in
with family every year.

I am not as sure as to the event on the 5th in Athens
(I haven't read up on it) but the event in Glen Rose
on the 15th (Dragon's Fire Tor Yule Revel)is a good
reason to pack some SCA clothes.

I have known people to rise early for events in
Ansteorra.  At camping events I attended the standard
armor inspection time was 8 AM(SCA time).

I have no knowlege of the fishing prospects in winter
here other than to say the lakes don't go anywhere for
the holidays.  As far as I know if you can take the
cold, you are free to drop in a line as long as you
have a license.  Whether or not you will catch
anything I will leave up to an angler.

For road tripping around the area I would suggest
picking up a copy of either the "Roads of Texas Altas"
or the "Delorme Texas Atlas and Gazetteer".

All in all the positives of Texas outweight the
negatives.  After all I have hung around almost 20
years.

Hope you have a fantastic trip.

Thora Olafsdottir

--- "Dr. C. M. Helm-Clark Ph.D."