[Elfsea] The Golden Compass

Liz Wilson ewilson618 at tx.rr.com
Fri Dec 7 07:50:27 PST 2007

I am really interested to hear the SCA reviews of "The Golden Compass" so I hope those of you that are going will let us know how it was.
I would like to take my kids (the 7 year old twins, almost 8) but I am concerned that it is PG-13.  My husband and I saw Beowulf and, while we had fun, we did not think it was appropriate for them.  They have seen the Harry Potter movies, including the PG-13 ones, in the theatre, but we prescreened them and talked about the scarier parts first.  Also, please let me know if the film is mostly done as an adventure story in the Narnia vein, or if it is extremely critical of religion (as opposed to just generally critical of conformity).  There are a lot of things floating around out there about the books that it is based on, and I haven't read them so I am not sure what to believe.

Cristianna (still trying to protect those young minds a little longer)