[Elfsea] road trippers from the snowy north

Dr. C. M. Helm-Clark Ph.D. cat at rocks4brains.com
Mon Dec 3 19:46:10 PST 2007

Good my hopefully future neighbors:

Things on the job front concerning the folks I
interviewed with a few weeks ago are such that my
spousal unit and I are seriously thinking of spending
part of the holidays in or near Fort Worth, so Sean
(also known in these parts as El Hermoso Dormiendo aka
His Lardship <sic> Sean Cleirech aka the Wormwood
Pursuivant <keeper of the Artemisian order of precedence>
aka the sushi addict) can see the area and we can drive
around and look at neighborhoods and houses and such - and
maybe even do some of that vacation stuff we keep hearing
rumors about with a little road tripping around the area...
(There are at least two different museums we HAVE to go
to already...and there's a rumor of an amusement park that
may be worthy to add to our collection of great wooden roller
coaster experiences!)
So on that note, I have some more questions to pester
you good folks you with, por favor...

1. What will the weather be like, and how wet?
2. Given that we'll likely be down there during
the week between Christmas and New Year's, how bad
or indifferent will the traffic be? Are there major
commuter tides to worry about on the highways during
rush hour, whenever that may be, or is the area like
LA where all highways are equally horrid in all
directions?
3. Given that we might be there over New Year's and
considering that neither of us are fans of amateur
drinking night, how bad is New Year's eve locally in
terms of successfully avoiding noise and drunk
drivers? (We were thinking, actually, of doing New
Year's eve at that rumored amusement park...)
4. Is it worth packing SCA clothes and making the
event on the 5th in Athens? There appears to not be
any sort of event schedule on the website except
for the rather strange notice that table decorators
get in at 9 am and the hoi polloi get in at 10 AM...
(do people really show up that early in Ansteorra
to events??? we bed slugs of the world are DOOMED!!!)
So does anyone know what is planned for folks to do
at your jointly-held 12th night?
5.  Please don't laugh - we really are woefully
ignorant about things in your part of the world.
The fishing addict wants to know if there is any
fishing to speak of in December and/or January?
(I suspect the folks who work at the place where
12th Night is being held might know...  ;-)

We are trying to figure out logistics of road
tripping down your way and we don't not have any
nailed-down plans yet - so any input folks have
will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

ttfn,
Therasia (and El Hermoso Dormiendo)