[Elfsea] Kragenworth Keep Bardic

Julie Self julie_self at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 22 19:47:06 PST 2007

Greetings and Salutations Goode Gentles,

The following is the criteria for the cloak passing competition in January, on the 4th, as determined by Lady Bree, the current holder of the cloak:

"1.  Perform something which hasn't been performed by you in any Bardic    competition within the last 6 months.

  * Encourages doing something new.

 2.  Theme it along the lines of "News".

   * Bards were welcome throughout the year, but more so during the long cold months, particularly as the winter wore on and boredom and cabin fever set in.  News was most welcome at this time of the year.  So, tell of a recent war and the chivalry found on the field, or of a new fashion in court, of scandalous gossip (but not of people we really know <wink>...!), challenge us with period (or period-style) riddles, demonstrate a new dance, play an instrument which we haven't heard before or a new way to play on your favorite.  I hope I've given the idea.

 3.  Each piece should have some physical element to it.

    *  Movement is important in keeping everyone's attention: move about the fire ring while you grace us with your playing and your voice, making eye contact and interacting with us.  If, in your story, the bear is pulling something down from the tree, show us that.  If the dancers at court were graceful, let's see that, too.  If your Entertainment IS dance - let me have a front row seat!!  Historically, Bardic was not confined to Story, Song, and Poetry.  The Troupes performed Comedia D'el Arte with plays, riddles, slapstick, mime, acrobatics and political: satire, intrigue, news.   Movement was, in great part, vital to their success and subsequent reward of Largesse.

So, while I really hadn't anticipated going on and on about this, I'd like to encourage everyone to challenge themselves just a bit: find something new, find something "newsy", and work some movement into the piece.  If everyone starts now (because Dec 20/Yule IS right around the corner!), then I think that we could have a very interesting Bardic!"

In Service to the Dream,

Ly. Gwenllian Hertewelle