[Elfsea] My embroidery...

Christine/Maria casadevaca at charter.net
Thu Feb 8 08:39:29 PST 2007

Genie Barrett wrote:
> Morning,
>
> Here's a link to the picture.
>
> http://www.elizabethancostume.net/gallery/1569.html
>
> The problem is with the flowers.  I did the stitches, not knowing
> better, from center to edge of each petal, so they literally are the
> length of the petal.  I'd say that the longest ones are about an inch or so.
>
> I'm going to just do it right for the yoke, which I'm just starting.
>
> Thinks, RIx, I really appreciate your help.
> Maggie
Hola!

That's a beautiful dress!  I know you meant that to go privately, but
could I give you some advice?  Rather than doing a satin stitch with
stitches that long may I suggest you work the flowers in a brick
stitch.  One inch stitches are much too large and will get caught on
items such as jewelry, branches on trees, etc. To make the petals "pop"
might I suggest you outline stitch each petal in a slightly darker color
than the petals.  This will not only make each petal pop out a bit more
but will also give a cleaner edge to each petal.

If you need any help, I will be more than happy to give you any other
advice or assistance.

Maria