[Elfsea] A Challenge of Gothic Proportions

HE Kainin Tepesa kainintepesa at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 10:27:42 PDT 2007

Greetings unto my cousin of Elfsea,

Again, I read your missive and find myself confused. I
had thought that we put this matter behind us, after
our conversation in the good Shire of the Shadowlands.
Then I return home and find this letter with your
"challenge", and I cannot help but wonder at what
changed so quickly.

Whatever your motivations or whims, I cannot let a
challenge like this go unanswered. Although, it was
pointed out to me, by a good friend, that in the
ancient laws of courtesy and the chivalric rites, that
he who is challenged receives the choice of weapon and
venue, not the challenger. So your challenge would
seem to be more open threat than a challenge of honor,
but I am sure that you just forgot these traditions
and meant no true harm.

As it stands, I will accept your terms, as given, and
march my forces toward your lands in six weeks time.
There we shall meet, between our great Baronies, and
we shall test the mettle of the West, that you seem so
keen on disparaging. However, good cousin, you will
need to bring additional blunted weapons with you, for
the only swords that the warriors of the West use are
sharpened as a razors edge; we keep our blunted
weapons for the training of our children.

Also, my lady's honor is a separate matter, and Her
Excellency’s champions, past and present, and the
whole of the rapier community of the West, have taken
issue with your words. I suggest that you bring
whatever Dons, Cadets and un-scarfed fighters you can
find with you; I feel that you are going to need them.

In service and care of the lands of our Crown,
Kainin Tepesa
Baron of Bonwicke