[Elfsea] Things I have seen

Richard Taylor king_of_dragons76010 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 18:49:21 PDT 2007

Greetings to All,

I am writing to you to talk about a few things I have
seen over the last ten years in the SCA since I
received my AOA. I am finally  able to put these
thoughts into words after my experiences at this
year's Highland games.

There is a dangerous trend that people below the age
of 25 do not get the respect that they deserve in the
SCA, especially, if they have been in the SCA for
years. The young people who helped at the games this
year were not thanked personally, but  only got the
general thank you's normally given at the end of the
demo.  I do not know if they just get overlooked or
what, but many of them  have been giving their time
freely to the group for years without any thanks or
respect.

Many teenagers and young adults have done a lot of
work through out the kingdom and it looks like this
trend is going to keep on happening. Even though these
young people have been taking part in activities,
working and even winning  competions they do not
recieved awards. Some of them have worked for years
and have not gotten their AOA yet.  Young people that
have been brought up in the SCA seem to  either be
ignored or lumped with their parents and do not get
the thanks or the respect they should get for freely
giving their time. It us hard on them to see newcomers
get AOA's and recognition in a short period of time
when they get nothing.

I am not saying we have to give them awards, but just
to properly thank them.  For years I have come out to
Steppes and Elfsea events and helped with what free
time that I can.  This is mostly helping with setup
and tear down but never getting the thanks from the
people that I helped. Others are having the same thing
happen to them and in time will burn out because of
that lack of thanks.

We have to remember to give the credit and thanks that
are due to these people since we are already doing it
to the those that are new to the SCA. We need to
remember that everyone who works needs to treated as
an individual. They need to be personally thanked for
their work.

Lord Richard DeLaufyson